Huntington Ingalls Industries ENGINEER FACILITIES 3 in Newport News, Virginia
ENGINEER FACILITIES 3
O41: Plant Engineering
External Job Description:
Plans, designs and oversees the reconfiguration, maintenance, and alteration of equipment, machinery, buildings, structures, and other facilities.
Gathers and reviews data concerning facility or equipment specifications, company or government restrictions, required completion date, and construction feasibility.
Coordinates with architecture/engineering firms in developing design criteria and preparing layout and detail drawings. Prepares bid sheets and contracts for construction and facilities acquisition. Reviews and estimates design costs including equipment, installation, labor, materials, preparation, and other related costs.
Inspects or directs the inspection of construction and installation progress to ensure conformance to established drawings, specifications, and schedules.
Specific to this position:
This position requires skill and structural engineering experience to include planning, estimating, design, construction of heavy industrial and nuclear facilities, dry docks, piers and heavy waterfront and industrial projects. Additional areas of responsibility include and are not limited to:
• Provides high level estimating, planning, design, and construction support for projects
• Responsible for project concept design, drawing development and approval of complex design criteria, calculations and final drawings issued for construction
• Reviews and estimates design costs including equipment, installation, labor, materials, preparation, and other related costs
• Requires surveillance of contracted design firms and contracted construction work
• Inspects or directs the inspection of construction and installation progress to ensure conformance to established drawings, specifications, and schedules
• Provides technical work instructions, commissioning and construction checklists, and turnover of assigned project work
• Performs quality control and quality inspection of design engineering and contracted work
• Requires coordination and management of multiple technical functions including geotechnical, civil, mechanical, electrical, industrial engineering disciplines and NNS Maintenance and Operations Department
• Supports key strategic business development and strategic initiatives as assigned and developed
• Requires strong project management, communication, organizational and computer skills
• Requires ability to complete assigned tasks on schedule and within budget
Auto req ID:
ENGINEER FACILITIES 3
5 Years with Bachelors in Science; 3 Years with Masters; 0 Years with PhD. ABET Accredited engineering degree required.
NN SHIPBUILDING (0265)
Huntington Ingalls Industries is America’s largest military shipbuilding company and a provider of professional services to partners in government and industry. For more than a century, HII’s Newport News Shipbuilding and Ingalls Shipbuilding divisions in Virginia and Mississippi have built more ships in more ship classes than any other U.S. naval shipbuilder. HII’s Technical Solutions division provides a wide range of professional services through its Fleet Support, Integrated Missions Solutions, Nuclear & Environmental, and Oil & Gas groups. Headquartered in Newport News, Virginia, HII employs nearly 37,000 people operating both domestically and internationally.
Relocation assistance will be available
Newport News-Virginia-United States
US Citizenship Required for this Position:
Equal Opportunity Employer - Veterans/Disabled Welcome. U.S. citizenship required for most positions.
• Structural/Civil Engineering degree
• Registered Professional Engineer (PE)
• Experience in heavy industrial/shipyard facilities
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
• Ability to think strategically, act tactically, delegate appropriately, work well with others, and promote a safe work environment
• Should possess comprehensive knowledge of Structural design
• Experience in developing specifications for purchase and installation of all project products and materials
• Experience in coordinating multi-trade projects including HVAC, plumbing, power lighting, telecom, etc.
• Familiar with the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code, International Building Code, City of Newport News Code of Ordinances, ADA compliance, and NFPA requirements
• Requires strong leadership and management skills
• Experience with personal computer applications, especially word processing and spreadsheet applications